Philips Elementary School (now The Odyssey School) was built in 1951 at the corner of Montview Blvd. and Monaco St. It was named for Homer S. Philips (1861-1929) who served as principal at Gove Junior High during the last eight years of his thirty-nine years of service to the Denver schools. Philips was a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Infantry 310 th Division and was wounded and gassed during WWI. In 2016, Philips was closed as a neighborhood school and reopened as Odyssey School of Denver, a charter school for K-8th grades. Odyssey is a model Expeditionary Learning school, taking students on project-based expeditions that support in-depth study and comprehension across all disciplines: reading, writing, mathematics and science, as well as the development of core “Habits of a Learner” that transform students into active stewards of their own learning.