Smith Elementary, at 3590 Jasmine Street, was built in 1954 and named for Margaret Mendenhall Smith, a teacher and principal for 48 years. Smith was the principal of the Emerson Elementary School at 1420 Ogden Street. Built in 1885, Emerson is the oldest remaining elementary school building in Denver although it ceased operations as a school in 1979. Smith is the author of Outlines of United States History, a teacher’s aid to teaching American history published in 1906.
Today, Smith describes itself as follows:
- We are a diverse learning community — a safe place, set apart.
- We are RESPONSIVE to the academic and emotional needs of every learner.
- We are COMMITTED to meeting students where they are, without exception.
- We are RELENTLESS in pushing every student to realize his or her highest potential.
- We are honored to be your neighborhood school — your home away from home.